Friday, October 23, 2009

An old dog CAN learn new tricks!

The classes with Annie at http://simplearts.com/blog/ is so good for me, although the blocks we've done so far, are ones I've done before, Annie is making me ***PIN EVERYTHING*** and ***SEW ACCURATE .25" SEAMS*** (AACCKKK) so this will be the most perfect quilt I've ever made, it's not all the way perfect, but it sure is a lot closer than anything I've ever made before!!! The class coming up today is hand applique, and I can't wait!! That is one thing I've never done, and I'm soooo anxious to learn. A couple of my blogging friends do such beautiful, stunning applique, and I've asked them for tips, but have never leaped over that log. Now is the time, I guess, and I'm ready! What a nice take-along project for the camper, or waiting rooms at Dr.'s offices, or road trips when I'm not driving. I like the machine applique just fine, but then again, you're tied to the machine, and although I LOVE Bessie, but she doesn't like traveling in the car, and it is nice to do a project on my own, I hope she understands....
And......whoa, Nelly!! Look what the mail lady brought me today! Aren't these little girls just the pretty kids on the block?

Kelly from http://kankerdoodle.blogspot.com/ sent these scraps because I was an "almost winner" again on one of her giveaways! she sure is a generous blogger, just look at all this loveliness!! I'm positive she looked into my heart and found some of my favorite fabrics to send!! Don't you think these beauties will play nicely in my scrapbox?
Hope all your scraps are finding new friends to play with!
lyn


15 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

Good to have classes (O: You always learn something new. Good luck with the hand appliqué. It is fun to do, that is, for me if I use the blanket stitch. Still have to learn the other way(S).
Hve a lovely day!

Amelia said...

I suppose we should try to learn something new from time to time..only I don't want to try things that are really going to frustrate me and are of no value..,you know, things that don't make me rich or beautiful I might hesitate to tackle.

Good luck on your new vinture.

Cathi said...

Congrats on learning new things. I learned how to applique about 4 years ago & LOVE it!

Quiltluver said...

Good luck on your new applique venture. My one venture into hand applique, a Hawaiian quilt block, is still sitting in a bag somewhere waiting for me to finish it. Someday I may finish it... Karen

Katie said...

Every so often I go back to applique. I've tried several methods and use my version of needle turn now. It can be so creative to choose which fabric to use. The one recommendation I have is to avoid loosly woven fabric that is too easy to ravel. And don't try for perfection. also I like to cut two of a leaf and sew them right sides together. You can use the machine. Then slit the middle of one and turn it inside out. iron You can let the edges stick up or turn over and you get a 3D effect. I'm anxious to see what you make.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What pretties you have received Lyn for being an almost winner!!! Oh those classes sound soooo good...I could do with them...Enjoy♥x

Micki said...

Congrats on your wins and you will love the applique classes. It is one of my favorite things.
Micki

Lorraine said...

Oh you will be the applique queen!! and good that you will only be stitching on road trips when you aren't driving....glad you are enjoying the classes....and has the ruler been out to rap you over the knuckles when you deviate from that quarter inch seam....LOLOL

DeAnna said...

Your blocks look great. It's always good to continue to learn and try something new. I've never done applique but it's on my lists of methods to try. Good luck. Congrats on the fabric. What a nice surprise to receive. I'm sure you will find lovely things to make with them. Thanks for sharing.

QuiltedSimple said...

lovely blocks. can't wait to see your applique!
Kris

Tambo said...

One of these years I'm going to take a class. It looks like you had a good time. I can't believe she made you pin your fabric though....the nerve! ;) I've seen a lot of "liberated" quilts and I'm in the mindset that our little mistakes, I mean artistic visions, add character to the quilts. So, I rarely pin as much as I should or pay close attention to the seam allowance. I am getting better though! I can't wait to see how your applique turns out!

Hand Quilting Nana said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. couldn't get the email to work so I am posting a response here.

Linda

Kathy said...

Your quilt that you are making in Annie Smith's online class is turning out so well! I sure love listening to her podcasts. The last time I went to her website she even had a video cast. I love playing things like that when I spend the day in the sewing room. Happy stitching!

Tambo said...

Hey Lyn,

Just wanted to see how you were doing! Are you surviving the snow?!

Take care,
tammy

Linda Lee said...

Dropping by to wish you and your family a very wonderful and Blessed Christmas,
Linda